Almost Gott'er Done
Here is Stella in all her glory, all she is missing is her rear fender, rear break light and license plate. Still not a bad view.
Exhaust is installed and new brass foot pegs are installed.
And of course as soon as I pull out the camera Che likes to get in on the action! And our new 4Runner in the background, finally ditched the mini van.
New Exhaust & Internal Baffles
I decided I did not like the lines of the stock pipes I had. They did not flow and the bends were too wide. I decided to make my own pipes. I must admit that this step was not nearly as difficult as I thought. I got away with one cut and weld seam. I then ground down the seam then cut the pipes to length.
So I realized that straight pipes are ridiculously loud so I decided to build some internal baffles while still maintaining the straight pipe design. I did some research and found some that you could buy but they were more for keeping the back pressure up but did not reduce the decibel level all that much.
With more research I found some forums where guys are building their own baffles and glass packing them. This creates the adequate back pressure while having the fiberglass to absorb the noise muffling it a few decibels. I may decide to do some tests of the decibels with and without the baffles to see what the exact difference is.
I installed the brass ends and then needed straps to mount the pipes to my bike. All the straps I found online were between $9-$30 and they were chrome, which this bike will have virtually none. I decided to go to my local hardware store and buy some flat stock brass and make my own. And then before installing them I shot them with 1000 degree rated paint. Of course they will be wrapped but this will protect them from rust and allow the ends that are not rusted to have a black on brass look.